◆ WCG Tournament Structure
A. Stage 1: National Qualifiers
Description: There will be one National Qualifier per country. individuals or teams will compete for a chance to qualify to Stage 2: Regional Qualifiers. The top 2 individuals or teams will advance per game title and region
B. Stage 2: Regional Qualifiers
Description: The top 2 from each Regional Qualifier in a WCG region will compete as National Representatives. The final top 8 individuals or teams from each region will advance to the Regional Finals.
1. China (Mainland China) is considered as one region; China Region.
There is no Regional Qualifier for China Region
C. Regional Finals
Location: Santa Ana, USA / Seoul, Republic of Korea / Shanghai, China / Athens, Greece
Description: WCG 2019 Xi`an, Grand Final will decide the global champion of the 8 individuals or teams that have advanced through National Qualifier, Regional Qualifier and Regional Finals on their 5 months long journey.
D. Grand Final
Location: Xi`an, China
Description: WCG 2019 Xi`an, Grand Final will decide the global champion of the 8 individuals or teams that have advanced through National Qualifiers, Regional Qualifier and Regional Finals on their 5 months long journey.
◆ Online Tournament Structure & Basic Guideline
(National Qualifiers & Regional Qualifiers)
A. Online Tournament Platform
1. China (Mainland China): Varena
2. Global (Except Mainland China): Battlefy
B. Regulations in the Online Tournament
1. To participate in WCG tournament, the nationality of all members on a team must match the qualifier in which they are participanting in,
e.g., To paricipate in the USA Dota 2 Qualifier, you and your team must all have all have American passports.
2. Basic English required, administration in done in English.
● Except China Region (Mainland China)
3. All players should be fully aware of the rules related to his/her game title. Complete rules for each game title can be found on wcg.com
4. All players participating in WCG must connect to correspondent tournament discord channel before beginning their match.
Also WCG will provide information regarding qualifiers through discord, and players shall be responsible for any disadvantage arising from not checking such
5. Each player may only participate once and one official title of WCG 2019 Xi’an
6. Players may communicate with WCG Committee or referee through WCG official channel. in order to do so, you will need your Battlefy username as well as
the tournament join code that you received from WCG after registering for the tournament . (Except China Region)
7. Players must use their ID (Game Account) when registering.
8. Upon registering for a team-based game, you will be required to submit a team name.
9. Player must not change Online Tournament Platform user name after registering for the tournament until the conclusion of the tournament.
(Battlefy / VARENA)
10. Players that change their Battlefy or Varena user name during the competition may receive disqualification form the tournament
11. Your personal ID and team name must not contain any special symbols or language that is discriminating or vulgar including but not limited to race,
color religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, drugs, and violence
12. Players must submit accurate information to WCG for tournament. If a player submits inaccurate or false information, they may be subject to disqualification
and other penalties.
13. Players that use other software (including plug-ins in any forms like MAPHACK and SCRIPT) during a match will subject to disqualification and other penalties.
14. Players must show respect to other participants during the whole event.
15. Players must participate each game with the intention of winning. Passive behavior in games may be subject to forfeit or disqualification
16. Players trying to make malicious use of the rules, infecting competition equity, or not complying with the WCG committee's decisions will be disqualified and
may be excluded from future WCG events.
17. WCG can adjust penalties based on the surrounding circumstances and decision. Severe penalties include disqualification from the tournament and an
indefinite ban from WCG events.
18. If a dispute occurs during or at the end of match, players may call an admin for an appeal based on instructions provided by the WCG Committee.
19. WCG may use your photos, game play footage and interview footage to promote WCG 2019 Xi’an tournaments.
20. Participants that insult, show aggressive behavior or do not follow instruction from admins and organizers may be subjected to penalties or disqualifications
21. Players that proceed from Regional Qualifier to Regional Final (offline tournament) must provide passport information
and other personal information through process designated by WCG.
22. If a problem occurs during the online tournament, you must inform the WCG Committee Immediately. if a player does not report an issue within a reasonable
amount of time to the WCG Committee in the pre-approved support channels, WCG reserves the right to make a ruling in the interests of maintaining the
23. If you dispute a match with no evidence, you may be disqualified from the tournament. You must have proper evidence in order to call for a dispute.
Without them, you may be subject to penalties and disqualification.
24. WCG, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to change rules, regulation, game settings, and operation guidelines at ant time.
◆ Offline Tournament Structure & Basic Guideline
(Regional Finals & Grand Final)
A. Each player may only participate once and one official title of WCG 2019 Xi`an
B. A team is only eligible for a WCG tournament if all members of the team are of the nationality for the country they are competing in,
e.g., all 5 members of a Dota 2 must be Americasns if they wish to compete in the United States qualfier
C. Teams that proceed from Regioanl Finals to Grand Finals to Grand Final may change up to 50% of their team members. Substituted team members are
ineligible if they competed in another WCG 2019 Xi`an tournament. (For team based game titles only)
● When substituting player, a team must notify the information of both players that are substituted in and out, to WCG Committee through following email.
D. Tournament Format (Official Titles only)
● Regional Finals
● Grand Final
E. 2 teams or individuals will proceed to the Grand Final per WCG region. However, this can change depending on decistions made by the WCG committee.
F. WCG 2019 Xi`an's regions are divided in to APAC, AMERICAS, EUROPE and CHINA. Note that come countries are in different regions depending on the game title.
G. The WCG Committee reserves all rights to the content related to the Tournament. Players/teams may not request the rights to the said content.
H. The following is an example of the Grand Final tournament structure with 8 groups. 1st & 2nd place from each group will proceed to the single elimination tournament (Total of 16 slots)
◆ Offline Tournament Regulation
(Regional Finals & Grand Final)
* WCG will not provide personal practice areas at the WCG tournament site.
A. Basic Guideline
1. All participants should abide by the rules included in this document and uphold the highest level of sportsmanship as representatives of their respective countries.
2. Players whose actions serve to disgrace his/her reputation and his/her country’s national honor shall be disqualified by the WCG Committee.
3. All participant can not qualify to represent their country for more then 1 game title.
4. All players should must read the full rules related to his/her game event (title) before the start of the competition.
5. All players should pay attention to the referees' insructions and comply with them.
6. Players participating in the tournament should wait in designated waiting areas in the tournament area between matches and prepare for his/her next game to ensure smooth tournament progress.
7. Players must understand and follow the announced tournament timetables and match schedules.
8. Be aware that the scheduled match time is when the match starts, A Player will not be given additional time to make match preparation. If a player does not arrive on time, a referee can disqualify the corresponding player.
9. The match schedule may be adjusted depending on the tournament operations. It is the player’s responsibility to stay in the venue and listen for referees’ instructions.
10. Players are not allowed to have personal electronic devices (mobile phones, radios, MP3 players, etc.) in the tournament area. The use of non-communication equipment need to be confirmed by the referee or WCG Committee, Failure to gain approval for the use of equipment might result in warning or loss by forfeit.
● You are allowed to have your mobile device within the tournament zone but if you use them during the matches, it will result in warning or loss by forfeiture.
● You may not carry any mobile device at the stage matches.
11. WCG Committee recommends players to bring their own mice, keyboards, headphones, and any other peripherals to recreate their own best playing environment.
12. Each player is responsible fot the setup and care of their own equipment. if it is not possible to use the personal equipment for any reason, the players must use equipment provided by WCG Committee.
● If a Referee or player suspects technical or equipment issue, a referee can choose to change the equipment if he/she finds it necessary.
● Decision on changing the equipment is entirely up to the referee's judgement
13. When installing personal equipment, the players must remove and place WCG Committee provided equipment at a location specified by the referee.
14. Players agree that WCG Committee cannot be held liable for loss, theft, and/or damages of personal equipment.
15. WCG Committee will not be responsible for performance issues related to peripherals brought by players.
16. Players cannot access internet without referees’ permission.
17. Players may not bring food into the tournament area. In case of drinks, players are permitted to bring bottled water and/or non-alcoholic beverage with cap into the tournament area.
18. Players that advance to WCG offline tournaments may request their legal guardian to be present at the venue. Upon such request, WCG Committee, at its sole discretion, can choose to review the case and may provide flight/accommodation for the legal guardian.
19. WCG, WCG partners, employees and any of its affiliates are not responsible for any accidents/trouble/consequences involving player's activities that are unrelated to tournament matches.
20. WCG, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to change rules, regulation, game settings, and operation guidelines and reserves the final interpretation right to the rules.
B. Pre-match Preparation
1. Players must sit in the seat assigned to them by a referee.
2. If any system error or any technical issue occurs during setting up personal equipment or during pre-match practice, the player must notify a referee for resolution.
3. Each player must select his/her recording option according to the instructions provided by a referee. (on a game event/title basis)
4. If a player arrive after their designated arrival time, the time will be taken away from the warm-up time.
5. The warm-up for each title is decided by the referee, and if a referee decides that no such time is needed, the match may start immediately.
6. Players must set up personal equipment within 10 minutes of the referee’s notification, except for the delays caused by broadcasting or technical issues.
A warning may be given for overtime, and if the player is found to be delaying the match for non-technical reasons, the referee may declare the match forfeit.
7. A player who has completed his/her pre-match preparation should wait in his/her seat until the match begins.
8. A player who is not present at the tournament area until the match starting time could be disqualified at the judgment of a referee. In this case, the opponent will win that match by default.
C. During a Match
1. At the end of pre-match preparation, a player should inform a referee of his completion of preparation, and then confirm the notices provided by the referees.
2. Each match will begin after each player is given the “go” signal by a referee.
3. If the match starts without the referee’s permission, the referee may stop the match at any time.
4. Any kind of communication is not allowed outside of your team mates (ex. team leaders, referees, and other outside communication) during a match.
5. At the end of each match, the players must receive approval from a referee before leaving their area. If a player violates the above rule, the completed match will result in his/her forfeit.
6. Players who have finished the match should show the last screenshot to a referee and remain in their seats until instructed to leave.
7. The winner of the match must save replay file according to the referee’s directions. (On a game event/title basis) If the replay file is not saved intentionally, the referee may declare a disqualification and change the result of the match.
8. Players may not transmit replay files created during the tournament operation in any shape or form to outside sources. If a player is found to be in violation of this regulation, all of that player’s matches will be declared loss by disqualification.
9. Speakers may not be used. (only headphones or earphones)
10. After the match, players should check their schedule for their next match, and wait in the “waiting area”
D. Stage Match
1. All participants assigned to stage matches must follow the staff and/or referee’s instructions.
2. Refusal of assigned stage matches without a proper reason will result in an automatic forfeit loss of the match.
3. It is possible to change the rules without notice in the case of stage matches. However, such match procedure will be carried out after agreement of either players/sides or team leaders.
4. Setup time for stage matches are decided by the stage manager. The players must follow the stage manager’s direction unless there are special circumstances that prevent the player from doing so.
5. All participants assigned to stage matches must agree to and sign the stage match agreement form.
6. Players must wear the official stage match uniforms to be provided by WCG Committee before each stage match.
7. If headset is required for the event, the player must wear the headset as directed by the referee. The players may not take off the headset at any time during the match.
8. Players must adjust the sound settings according to the referee and/or staff’s directions, and may not change the setting arbitrarily.
E. Regulations for Selecting WCG Overall Winners
1. The country with the highest number of gold medals becomes overall winner
2. When two or more countries are tied with number of gold medals, the country with more silver medals becomes the overall winner.
3. When two or more countries are tied with number of gold and silver medals, the country with more bronze medals becomes the overall winner.
4. When two or more countries are tied with number of gold, silver and bronze medals, the country who has won more medals in team games
becomes the overall winner. In this case, number of gold medals will have precedence over number of silver medals, and number of silver medals will have
precedence over number of bronze medals.
If the overall winner is still undetermined after going through conditions above, then the two conditions seen below will be applied in
5. The country who achieved more wins in knockout stage, against the country that is tied with, is determined as overall winner.
- If the number of wins achieved against the country that is tied with is the same, then victory in team games will have incentive, and the country with more
victories against tied country in team games will become overall winner.
6. The country which has less number of participants than the other tied country will become the overall winner.
7. If the overall winner is still disputed after all the process above, then both countries shall become overall winners.
F. Causes for Warning or Disqualification
1. Players must forfeit the match or disqualified from the tournament if they break WCG’s rules, regulations or uses abusive speech WCG Committee.
2. If WCG Committee finds player’s behavior that goes against the WCG’s spirit of fair play and proper etiquette or any behavior that does not show dignity, display courtesy and good manners toward others.
3. Player cheats or deliberately provide false information to WCG Committee.
4. Non-permitted trips away from the player’s village and/or the WCG tournament site
5. Abusive speech and behavior against the tournament staff (referees, etc.) and/or other players
6. Any kind of cheat referring to the game rules
7. Any intentional defacing, damage and/or modification of the items (console, PC, monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, etc.) provided for use to players
8. Non-conformance with the proper wearing of player identification, uniforms and attachments (ID cards, player bibs, etc.)
9. Leaving the tournament site and not returning by 15 minutes before any scheduled match time (includes all circumstances including non-reported injuries and sickness)
10. Leaving the tournament area without the referee’s permission
11. Refusal of assigned stage match(es)
12. Not being present for match(es) at the scheduled match time
13. Any other inappropriate behavior, as decided by the referee and/or the operations staff, may result in a warning or disqualification.
G. Right to File a Protest/Objection
1. If a player does not agree with a match result, the player must raise an objection to the referee immediately after the match. After the player signs the result sheet, objections will not be accepted.
2. If a player does not agree with the mediation of a referee, he/she can file a protest to the dispute resolution committee (WCG Committee). The decision of the committee will be the result, and thus a player can bedisqualified if he/she does not obey the final decision of the dispute resolution committee.
3. Dispute resolution committee makes a final decision after checking the facts.
● if a referee makes a wrong ruling, that ruling can be overturned. To make sure that fair ruling has been given out. the organiger holds the right to
overturn a ruling during or after the match. The organizer hold the right to withdraw or recant referee's ruling.
4. Both players (team leader) must sign the Agreement of Dispute Resolution as presented by the dispute resolution committee. Neither player (team leader) may raise objection to the resolution once the agreement is signed.
Version: May 11, 2019